Friday!

I've had the last week off work and it has turned out to be just what the doctor ordered. I caught up on chores, visited the dentist and went blonderer at the hairdressers. I also did this (eep! a first!)

There's something about Spring. What's that Anne Carson line? "Spring opens like a blade". It feels like a time of year not to bask or to ease into things, but to leap. And given the winter I had, the winter we all had, I need that sudden jolt. The shock of doing something new, that feeling that you can still surprise yourself even.


I've been reading Rebecca Mead's My Life in Middlemarch. It's turning out to be the perfect thing for me to read right now, little bits of my own present reflected back to me in a way that makes sense of some of the things that I haven't been able to put words to.


"Reading is sometimes thought of as a form of escapism, and it's a common turn of phrase to speak of getting lost in a book. But a book can also be where one finds oneself; and when a reader is grasped and held by a book, reading does not feel like an escape from life so much as it feels like an urgent, crucial dimension of life itself. There are books that seem to comprehend us just as much as we understand them, or even more." - Mead

Some links:
- I'm in love with Bandido. I'm still not sure I can make sense of my life with a dog but I really love this scruffy chap!
- I'm not a fan of all-or-nothing. It reeks too much of my religious upbringing and ultimately I'm sure it all results in much handwringing hypocrisy. I much rather a gentler balance, an ebb and flow, letting oneself go and gently pulling back and always taking responsibility rather than hiding behind an extreme set of rules. So I liked this piece about the pointlessness of unplugging
- I really like this purse because it's shaped like a saddle and I'm predictable like that
- Mark never writes anything not worth reading
- "...most creative people are continually making associations between the external world and their internal experiences and memories" - The Neurological Similarities between Successful Writers and the Mentally Ill
- And on a lighter note: Updated skincare advice from Lisa Eldridge
- Tumblring

Happy weekend!

20 comments:

  1. When I saw that Lisa Eldridge had a new video up I thought of you. It was a good video too. I'm planning on using my Eve Lom cleanser and doing the 20 minute massage. Off to click on the links - such a shame that I didn't see your photo on Instagram of your tattoo - I would have certainly clicked 'like'. Have a lovely weekend Jane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I generally lurk but I just have to thank you for the link to that Anne Carson poem (and for the Marie Ponsot one earlier). Also I love the ink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Karen. Thanks for delurker, even if temporary :)

      Delete
  3. You did it! Great tattoo! Did the artist work from your calligraphy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The calligraphy is my Mara Zepeda of Neither Snow :)

      Delete
    2. Very nice! Was it very painful?

      Delete
    3. It wasn't pain-free but it didn't bother me too much. I'd be nervous about a much larger piece though!

      Delete
  4. Love that quote by Rebecca Mead! I also wanted to tell you that your poetry posts inspired me to buy Mark Strand's Dark Harbor. I have really been enjoying it and appreciating how reading poetry helps me to slow down and savor words. I haven't read much poetry in years and you reminded me how much I missed.
    Your tattoo is perfect! I have long debated whether to get one and yours is just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's lovely to hear. I know I blog lots of shopping links, but it's really when people tell me I influenced a book purchase that I'm happiest of all!

      Have a lovely weekend! (P.S. I vacillated a long time on the tattoo -- even after I had it designed. Take your time... it just hit me to go through with it after getting my hair done this week... my appetite was whet for change, I guess!)

      Delete
  5. Wonderful links. That Anne Carson poem is breathtaking. Your tattoo is beautiful--how did you decide?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided suddenly in the end... though I've had the design for a long time! It just felt like the right day to do it and the place had an opening and it all came together!

      Delete
  6. I say get the pooch and the bag (both gorgeous)!
    Have a great weekend Jane.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blonderer and blonderer..once you start! That dog is so lovely- I really hope you get him. Please get him then we can see more pictures of him here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to be so impulsive. Unfortunately, apartment living and a full-time job to consider...

      Delete
  8. Also love that 'He has not been tested with cats or children'...very respectable position, not dissimilar to my own!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

Comments are moderated for spam, advertising, obscenity etc. Please note that your profile name links to your site/blog. Using the comment field to promote your site/blog is considered spamming.