Sunday best: My uniform in thirty pieces

Many years ago, I did a post about my “uniform”. I think it’s probably one of the posts that’s been pinned the most from my blog. And although the notion of a uniform is still near and dear to my heart, I think that old post is due an update.


While some of the pieces here are exactly what I own, others are more generally meant to represent ideas — shapes, silhouettes and palette. I don’t, for instance, own these Hermes scarves, but I do almost always wear a scarf... my one stab at colour and pattern. And although I don't own any Cathy Waterman jewelry, my favourite ring and necklaces are similar in aesthetic. It's important to me that all jewelry be very personal and somewhat talismanic.

But this isn't simply an exercise in cataloguing what I already own and wear. Some pieces include here are straight up missing (like a cocoon-y winter coat I love) and will help me focus on what I need to shop for in the next twelve months. Others, like Everlane Ryan tees and the Aritzia cardigan (despite it being totally ubiquitous in Toronto) are things I own in multiples and buy season-in, season-out. My dresses are always sweater or tunic-style. If you ever run into me, odds are I'll be wearing one of these over leggings.


Regarding palette, I do wear mostly black and grey. I also love the pinkish, biscuity neutrals that accent this collection, especially now I'm blonde again. Of course, I'm not this strict always... I too buy ad hoc items that don’t really fit with this script. However, when I think about what's in my closet, those straying purchases are least likely to be worn. And when I line everything up like this, I really wonder why I ever bother deviating!

Tell me, do you wear a "uniform"? Any must-have pieces?

Products:
Set 1: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17
Set 2: 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30

14 comments:

  1. I love this! I remember your older post, and it's cool to see how your uniform has evolved, but is still essentially the same.

    I can't seem to shake a love of stripes, and I gravitate towards black and blue and some white here and there. I'm not quite a dress person, but I do have a couple I'm trying to wear more. But generally, my uniform is some combination of slim jeans/pants with a t-shirt/cardigan combo or a button-down shirt. I've realized lately that I don't really like to wear sweaters, much as I love to look at them - I only have one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm the same re sweaters. More often, cardigans.

      Delete
  2. ooh, a gorgeous round up. I'll take one of everything, and have it magically appear in my closet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer to call this a 'signature' than a uniform. You know what works for you and you walk taller as a result. Sounds good to me!

    Your colours and styles here are so pretty and delicate. The black doesn't dominate so much.

    I'm the same. I have a staple of colours, fabrics and styles. It's usually a mistake to deviate. I think it's great to know what works for you. For example, I recently invested in a new Furla and the tan colour matched exactly to a couple of other pieces in my wardrobe. Coincidence? I think not! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love Furla too, since the first time I visited Italy. Such beautiful purses.

      Delete
  4. Although my uniform differs from yours, I've always found your style profoundly captivating. So much beauty in a simple, but interesting shape and a luxurious fabric. And I think I am moving slowly in that direction too. I used to like color and prints more, but lately anything too busy has been making me slightly uncomfortable. My uniform of late has been wide-leg jeans with white or off-white linen tee, grey cardigan, and colorful Indian-print silk scarf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lori. I try to buy less and spend more and care more... so fabrics are important to me. I tend to leave patterns on accessories, where it feels a lot more peripheral to my body, if that makes sense...

      Delete
  5. Kimberly RichardsonMarch 18, 2014 at 10:07 AM

    Thank you for a lovely blog…
    As for me,my closet consists of navy,black,grey,cream with a bit of olive green thrown in. My staple pieces are J Crew denim(black,olive green,navy)Theory t shirts long and short sleeve(I found a black short sleeve at the thrift shop recently for $4.49) a vintage Eileen Fisher black silk mandarin collar blouse(also thrifted) and cardigans heavy and lightweight.
    I recently purchased a soft creamy grey scarf on clearance at J Crew that I've been wearing incessantly. I carry a black leather monogrammed tote from company in New York called Cuyana.
    Shoes and boots are another story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Skirt/dresses and patterns galore are pretty much my uniform - I don't think I've purchased a pair or trousers in six or seven years. I find myself wanting to move more towards basics and colour blocking lately though. I hit my 30s last year and find myself gravitating more towards simplicity and cleaner silhouettes than in previous years. Now just to have the money to get my wardrobe to magically transform overnight in line with my new tastes :) I'm just after finding your lovely blog and so glad I've stumbled upon it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy to see a Shinola watch is part of your uniform! I read your post from last year and noticed the piece about ethical manufacturing and better materials. I am from Michigan and Shinola is doing awesome things for Detroit and making really sweet watches/leather goods at the same time. Thanks for adding this to the list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE my Shinola watch. The one I got isn't the one I put here (it's the black face, green strap Runwell). But I absolutely love them! I'm sure I'll order another one at some point. What a great company!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments!

Comments are moderated for spam, advertising, obscenity etc. Please note that your profile name links to your site/blog. Using the comment field to promote your site/blog is considered spamming.